“The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.”

—Albert Einstein, physicist

Who are we and what do we do?

Before the HCA case and IRS cost segregation guidance was published, several undaunted tax advisors (including the HCA team), ran building cost seg. studies benefiting their taxpayer/clients. Also in the past, some informed tax advisors would solicit local agronomists to run fertilizer nutrient cost seg. studies for their farmer/landowner clients.  However, generally we found certain important details missing or insufficiently covered in those earlier reports.  It wasn’t until early 2008 when farm fertilizer input costs skyrocketed—we realized more work needed to be done.

Working since then with soil tests, crop and nutrient data, and varying fertilizer price component data, among other necessary bits and pieces of vital information—we initially used spreadsheets to perform the calculations.  That's one way to go about it.  But, similar to the frustration experienced by LIFO PRO with the inherent inefficiencies and problems associated with using and reusing spreadsheets easily prone to error each time its everchanging database and inputs change, we also decided we could do better.

So beginning in 2008, we embarked to develop a system akin to engineered systems used today by website driven cost seg. firms in the commercial building property realm. Our team consists of:

  • A Farmer/Agronomist
  • A CPA
  • A website designer/software engineer and CPA

Two of us have gray hair. However, given the complexity of now over 40,000 lines of programming code in our website-driven database engine program, the computer pro on our team will likely see gray hair soon enough.

After realizing the specialness in both tax law and soil science required from years of experience, these past and ongoing efforts culminate into a FertileDirt™ report we can efficiently and professionally deliver, which should allow your fertilizer nutrient tax write-off to pass muster under scrutiny when appropriately applied to your particular situation—ideally by your CPA or tax advisor.